Wishes have started pouring in. Marriage is announced and with that starts the hubbub of finalization of date, venue, menu and the list is endless. The couple is preparing, preparing for the big day right from what to wear and how to be.
But are they really preparing?? The event will get over in a day, the marriage is a lifetime. How well are we prepared for this ongoing lifetime event? This is when Pre-Marital Counselling comes in play. Needless to state, that it should be the first in the wedding to do list.
Benefits of Pre-Marriage Counselling are many but just to state a few:-
- Set realistic expectations – because life is not just a dream. The routine life soon revolves around household chores, relationship management and providing for the necessities. These mundane matters shake you out of your dream and bring you in touch with post-marriage reality.
- Establish shared vision – which amounts to make some conscious choices and deliberate over options to reach the desired destination. A vision of life which both partners need to talk about and create a kind of roadmap to keep the relationship on course.
- Identify conflict zones – Let’s face it. No two people are alike. Neither is their perception or reaction. To ensure stable relationship one addresses the “differences creating zones” and respects the differences.
- Understanding major triggers – The stressors and energizers if well identified one can know “what not to do” with each other. Step one is to avoid the stressors. Step two is to overcome it.
- Bridging communication gaps – Nothing can undermine the importance of communication. Blocked communication can create rifts bigger than the bridges. The ability to keep the conversation on is the absolute healthy mark for any relationship.
Amongst others is financial planning, parenting values and various other roles in marriage which can be addressed in these sessions. Is it that compromise, consistency, communications and commitment are needed in all relationships? More so in a marriage!!!